T-4 days until my beloved Longhorns kick-off in what will be Head Coach Charlie Strong’s inaugural game donning that oh-so-good-looking burnt orange. What’s a better way to welcome Coach Strong to Longhorn Nation than by toasting to him with the perfect Game Day Bloody Mary? [Editor’s Note: Aggies, Sooners, Baylor Bears, ‘Enter Your School Here,’ please keep reading. No matter where your loyalty lies, this Bloody Mary knows no team color, it only knows how to ensure that you have a good time come Game Day.]
I blame my love of Bloody Marys on my mother, who is never without a travel-size of Tito’s and Zing Zang, in case of emergencies–whether the emergency be you’re down by 7 or you’ve just had a crap day. My ‘recipe’ for the perfect Game Day Bloody Mary is by no means elaborate, but it’s simple, delicious, and in some diets, counts as your daily serving of vegetables–so you’re welcome.
- Fill your glass with ice. [duh.]
- Using a jigger, measure your vodka of choice [or don’t measure, we’re in a non-judgment zone] and pour over ice.
- Top off your glass with Bloody Mary mix. I highly recommend Zing-Zang, but to each their own.
- Squeeze 1/4-1/2 lime into your glass.
- Pour mixture into either a martini shaker or another glass to mix.
- Pour concoction back into glass.
- Garnish with celery stalk, olives, and pickled vegetables of your choice. [I chose my mom’s homemade pickled green beans!]
Here’s to wishing everyone a successful and safe season! Cheers! Scroll below to shop the best Bloody Mary barware. To order a custom wood-burned football cutting board for your team, email me here.