Fewer things scream “summer!” like watermelon. For your next soiree, consider swapping out your regular drink dispenser for this festive fruit one. Not only will it make a great addition to your bar, but it’s a great conversation piece and will have your guests Oooing and Ahhhing over your creativity.
- Large watermelon
- Large knife
- Serving and/or slotted spoon
- Apple corer (optional)
- Spigot (I just unscrewed the spigot off of my everyday dispenser, but you can find individual ones here)
- Stand (optional)
- First, using a large knife, cut the top of the watermelon off and set it aside.
- Next, with a large slotted spoon, scoop out the ‘meat’ of the watermelon and place it in a mixing bowl. The leftover watermelon will make for a great salad and the juice immediately becomes a delicious agua fresca!
- Once the watermelon is hollowed, use an apple corer to make a small hole towards the bottom for the spigot. If you don’t have an apple corer, you can just use a small knife to cut a circle about the size of a nickel.
- Secure the spigot in the hole, and screw in to place. Make sure it’s a tight seal so that there won’t be any leaks!
- I used the base of my regular drink dispenser for the watermelon, but if you don’t have one, simply cut the bottom of your watermelon so it’s flat and place it on a nice plate. It all works the same!
- Fill your watermelon with your cocktail of choice and replace the top that you set aside earlier.
- Now sit back, pour yourself a drink, and admire your handy work. Cheers!