DIY: Flower Crown

ACL Festival is upon us, so I thought what better way to wrap up the music festival season than with a fun and “festive” DIY!  I made a similar crown last year for my ‘Dia de los Muertos’ costume, and loved the look so much that I wanted to share it for ACL.   This project is quick, easy, and cost-efficient–meaning, you can easily make a crown or two before the weekend!


  • Silk flowers [I bought these small bouquets on sale at Michael’s for about $4 each]
  • Metal Headband
  • Natural colored felt [you don’t need much!]
  • Wire cutters [beading wire, optional]
  • Hot Glue Gun + Glue


First, using your wire cutters, snip the flowers off at the stem, just at the base.  Try to get as close to the base of the flower as possible, as it will make it easier to adhere to the headband in following steps.

Once you’ve cut all of your flowers, arrange them in a row, how you’d like them placed on your crown.  I placed the largest one a little off center [think 10 o’clock] and then gradually placed the medium and smaller sized flowers on either side.  I used 7 flowers for this crown, however if you want a fuller, more halo-esque look, add more.


Before attaching my flowers, I cut a piece of felt [I found a color that closest matched my hair] in a small strip — approximately 3/4″ wide x 8.5″ long.  I hot-glued the felt to the underside of the of the headband to create a wider base to glue the flowers to, plus it also serves as a cushion for the the metal headband.


Once the felt was securely attached, I then started gluing my flowers, starting with the largest flower and then going out.  I made sure the flower was glued to both the headband and the felt to make sure it was secure.  For additional security [I didn’t do this], you could also use thin beading wire to wrap the base of your flower to the headband, however I don’t think this step is completely necessary. After all of your flowers are attached, the finished product should look like this!
Here’s my Dia de los Muertos get-up from last Halloween that I’m hoping to replicate this year.  [Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.]  For this flower crown, I used much larger silk flowers [I only had to use about four] to create a more ‘Frida Kahlo’ look.
Be sure to check back next month, I’ll give a step-by-step tutorial on how I did my makeup!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *